With the advent of the FMCSA rules and regulations, it is becoming more difficult to become compliant;
- The DOT has sweeping powers to control a carrier's destiny;
- The DOT's primary responsibility is to protect the public;
- Regardless of the fact that the trucking industry is one of the safest industries in the country; and
- Regardless of the fact that the trucking industry is much safer than private passenger vehicles, the trucking industry has been inundated with their challenges with compliance.
Recently with the revisions in the Hours of Service and the stringent CSA Compliance Regulations, it's extremely important that all Safety Programs are reviewed on a continual basis.
Ahern & Associates have worked with DOT specialist to develop a program to assist transportation carriers in reviewing their CSA scores and their DOT ratings. Ahern's safety review enables a carrier to review their current situation and allows Ahern's consultants to provide recommendations to improve compliance. This permits a trucking company to ensure compliance of current federal regulations.
Ahern's review is conducted at the customer's facility with an Ahern & Associates DOT Safety Consultant. Records that are requested and provided will be carefully examined, regarding compliance with the Federal Motor Carriers Safety Regulations. Ahern's auditor will also review a trucking company's procedures for maintenance and updating their files.
When Ahern's consultant visits on site, they review:
- Hiring practices;
- Advertising for drivers;
- Demographics of drivers;
- Driver orientation;
- Driver termination policies;
- Drug and alcohol policy;
- Owner/operator agreements - if applicable;
- Lease/purchase agreements;
- Driver qualification files; and
- Driver logs and reprimand policies.
Additionally, the Ahern auditor does an extensive review of;
- DOT accident records and files;
- Driver logs, including the preparations, Hours of Service, and any potential falsification violations;
- The vehicle maintenance records and the updated procedures;
- The brake and annual inspection certificates;
- The post-trip inspection records; and
- The commitment of management to reduce their exposures to the general public.
Upon completion of the review, Ahern's findings are discussed with members of the management staff in an advisory capacity. Ahern & Associates will;
- Identify the safety problems and compliance problems with the particular client;
- Answer any questions management has, regarding compliance with pertinent regulations; and
- Ahern will provide a written report, outlining the findings of our on-site visit.
For companies that are considering utilizing Ahern's services, we request information such as;
- Trip reports;
- Weight tickets;
- Daily fuel purchase summary by unit;
- MCMIS reports - the carrier profile from FMCSA;
- Access to a computer mileage program;
- Roadside inspection reports for at least the last four (4) months;
- Accident registers for the current year;
- Drug and alcohol files and MIS reports and test logs, for year to date;
- Driver qualification files and maintenance files.
Arkansas Transit Home, Inc. (ATH) was founded in 1958 by my late father, Wendell Chandler. In fact, to Illustrate how long that is got most trucking companies, our DOT number only has five numbers.
I would like to thank you Andy for making this very important and life changing event possible. It was a great experience.
Arkansas Transit Homes, Inc.
We have worked with you and your colleagues at Ahern Associates for some time now. We find your expertise in the area of logistics (be it in consulting or based on being hired for acquisition analysis) to be out standing. We value the relationship and are very happy to give you this letter of reference..
You should feel free to have any party call us to discuss our experience.
Benesch Attorneys at Law
England has been formally associated with Andy Ahern and his colleagues for approximately the past three years primarily in the area of acquisitions. During that period, we have experienced a professionalism that is refreshing. Andy offers in-depth expertise as well as industry knowledge born from extensive experience, a combination which adds material value well beyond a normal business relationship.
We anticipate a long Ė term, mutually beneficial association. It was a great experience.
Very truly yours,
Keith c. Wallace,Jr.
Senior Vice President / Chief Financial Officer
C.R. England, Ind
Century Carriers, Inc. and its subsidiaries are family owned businesses that was started 1998. When the Transportation business was booming, times were great but, like other family owned businesses we didnít prepare for the economy the past year. My wife and I lost many hours sleep and made many calls to attorneys, banks, and whom ever would listen to our story trying to figure out how we were going to save our business for our future and our children.
Andy and his team has given us hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel and we are making progress, thanks again.
Kevin Henderson, President/CEO
Century Carriers Inc. / Century Expedited Inc.
Originally, I met Andy at a Truckload Carrier`s Conference during a round table discussion on the transition of family business. Andy was very knowledgeable about the topic and expressed many ideas that we hadn`t thought of. During the down turn of our industry in 2001, We called upon Andy, as a consultant, to help us understand how to turn our business around. We hired Ahern and Associates to come in and do businesses review. By giving us a road map to success with their intial audit, they helped turn our business around within thirty days.
Andy Ahern and Ahern & Associates have always delivered exactly what they have promised.
Don Christenson, President
Christenson Transportation, Inc.
We have thought about selling our business one day, but we really didnít know much about how to go about it. Your company contacted us a few months ago about a client of yours that was looking to buy businesses like ours. Now just a few months later, the sale is complete. Everything went very smoothly, Ahern was there to guide us through the beginning of the process. We are very happy with our whole experience with Ahern, especially Andy and Brian. They gave us personal attention any time we had questions or concerns.
John & Jennifer Rainney
I wanted to thank you for your guidance, leadership and support. The professionalism and dedication of you and your staff is outstanding. The knowledge you posses of the transportation industry and its inner workings was been a huge asset to us in our time of transition. With your assistance we have been able to make significant changes within our company to improve structure and productivity. Aherns onsite visit and detailed evaluation of our company has been a very valuable tool. The outside look at how we do business and the suggestions you've made to improve our overall performance have been very valuable. All of your advice and direction has been thoughtful and caring, I feel that you truly care about our business and success. You've done everything you said you would do and then some, working with you and your dedicated staff has been a pleasure and will improve the productivity of our company. I look forward to a long relationship with Ahern and Associates.
Specialized Business Solutions. INC