PROFESSIONAL EMPLOYER ORGANIZATION (PEO)
What is a PEO and how can it assist a trucking company? A PEO is a professional Employer Organization that will allow a trucking company to focus on their core business - trucking ... A concept that meets the personnel management demands of the millennium and beyond!
Already accepted by - and an integral part of - thousands of companies in the United States, Canada and overseas, a PEO is an idea whose time has come. Personnel management and payroll processing, benefits procurement and administration...the total human resources responsibility can now be alleviated...physically removed from your premises and handled by an off-site team of specialists. You and your management team save:
- Cash flow
A PEO Program can also reduce such direct costs as:
- Worker's Compensation
- Unemployment Insurance
- Health Benefits
If you are like the owners/managers of many trucking businesses, you are already leasing office, production and/or warehouse space, operating and/or leasing office equipment and vehicles of various types. For many of the same reasons you initiate these leases, it is now time to consider Employee Leasing!
THE SOLUTION TO YOUR PERSONNEL ADMINISTRATION PROBLEMS
Ahern & Associates, Ltd. is an independent transportation consulting firm with expertise in Professional Employer Organizations. The management and staff of Ahern & Associates, Ltd. have substantial experience in a wide range of programs.
Established in 1987, Ahern has pioneered in the introduction of Professional Employer Programs (PEO) to the owners of a wide variety of transportation businesses throughout the country. We specialize in the application of PEO concepts to the trucking industry. We understand the concerns of the entrepreneurial owner/manager...analyze their operations and are able to thoughtfully recommend the program and procedures that will enhance the special owner/worker relationship necessary for continuing success.
Ahern & Associates, Ltd. represents a leading national Employer Administrator company. We have selected a PEO whose capabilities, coverage and experience are the best match for our clients and we jointly "custom build" the right program to meet each customerís specific needs.
HOW DOES A PEO ACTUALLY WORK?
The PEO Administrator Company "hires" your current employees, becoming their administrative and W-2 employer. YOU REMAIN THE SUPERVISORY/MANAGER OF THEIR DAY-TO-DAY ACTIVITIES. You do not lose control.
The PEO Leasing Administrator manages your complete payroll and tax obligation, provides a variety of cost effective Employee Benefit Plans, including Worker's Compensation, and offers an optional choice of personnel services that include:
- Medical & Dental Benefits
- Pension & Disability Coverage
- Human Resource Management
- Section 125 Cafeteria Program
- 401(k) Plan
- Recreational/Vacation Packages
These services are also referred to as "Employee Out-sourcing." In simplistic terms, the PEO firm essentially hires the employees of a particular business; issuing the paychecks and handling all benefit claims, taxes, and other paperwork for a set fee. The PEO firm also handles all employee-related issues including wage garnishments, EEOC, NLRB, DOL, and any other federal and state agency related issues.
A PEO Program does not disrupt your normal daily business routine. In fact, it will allow you to focus on your trucking business and grow your operations. You never need to worry about payroll preparation, tax deposits, quarterly and annual tax reporting or insurance premium payments. The time you previously spent on personnel administration, payroll and the negotiation of employee benefits, Worker's Compensation Plans, etc. can now be devoted to generating more business, improving operations, and creating new products and/or service. In essence, the PEO becomes a contributing partner to your profitability by:
- Increasing productivity
- Decreasing operating costs
- Insulating your firm from day to day regulatory hassles
As employees of a substantial, established PEO Company, you experience all the benefits of a large company without the typical work place environment of the giants. As with any services you consider, it is essential you must make sure that the PEO Company that you choose understands and complements your existing operation. Today there are literally thousands of leasing companies in the United States. Although they all provide basic services, each has its own unique and separate identity. To insure that your company is properly serviced and protected, Ahern & Associates, Ltd. provides the necessary analysis and answers to basic questions. As independent PEO consultants, we have pre-qualified and selected the leading national and regional Administrator of transportation in the United States. With Ahern's expertise you are able to insure that the PEO firm that you choose can adequately and cost-effectively provide the services to the people who work in your business.
The cost of Worker's Compensation is a major expense for many trucking companies and the system is often complicated and frustrating. Each PEO Company has its own Worker's Compensation program. The best ones provide loss prevention and risk management services, claims status reports, reserve control, direct diagnosis and scheduled doctor visits. In addition, they offer the cash flow advantage of no insurance premium deposit. Also, many PEO companies focus on only one or two industries. The basic program of any one PEO company does not necessarily fit the needs of all businesses; therefore, professional consulting guidance is essential to insure ongoing satisfaction.
WHY SHOULD YOU CONSIDER A PROFESSIONAL EMPLOYER ORGANIZATION?
- To improve your company's overall cash flow position.
- To free your company of the internal costs and excessive paper flow of processing payroll and benefits
- To assist you by providing legal advice regarding employee relations without hourly attorney charges.
- To hire and retain high quality employees by offering benefits comparable to those of much larger companies.
- To have a free source for tracking the local, state, and national regulatory compliance requirements.
- To have your own Human Resources advisors to assist in recruiting and termination procedures, loss control, risk management, drug and alcohol problems, and overall employee policies and procedures and training.
- To take advantage of a purchasing plan designed to lower your employee support costs and increase morale and efficiency.
- To obtain the best possible Worker's Compensation insurance coverage at the lowest practical cost.
- To assure compliance with ERISA, COBRA, OSHA and whatever future regulatory burdens are enacted at state or federal levels.
- To enjoy flexibility in such areas as payroll schedules, check delivery, direct deposit, number of employees leased, variations in hourly, weekly, projects or piece-work reporting.
- To have the independence of a 30-day cancellation clause (most contracts).
SUMMARIZING THE ADVANTAGES
The PEO Administrator handles the following responsibilities:
- Calculate wage and payroll deductions.
- Process payroll deductions and wage garnishments.
- Reconcile payroll accounts.
- Prepare management information reports.
- Prepare and deliver payroll checks.
- Calculate and deposit Federal and State withholding.
- Track payment of FICA, FUTA and SUTA taxes.
- Prepare and file of all payroll tax reports.
- Eliminate late fees or penalties on payroll taxes.
- Prepare year end W-2 forms.
- Handle employee inquiries.
- Cost efficient group medical, dental and prescription coverage.
- Life Insurance.
- Credit Union.
- Pension programs.
- Disability coverage.
- Section 125 "cafeteria plan."
CLAIMS AND AUDITS
Handling for the following categories of concern:
- Unemployment Compensation claims.
- Worker's Compensation claims.
- State Department of Labor claims.
- Federal wages and hour claims.
- Unfair labor practice claims.
- Discrimination claims.
- IRS payroll audits.
- State Department of Revenue audits.
- Department of Employment Security audits.
- Wrongful termination actions.
- Employment regulatory compliance audits.
- Change legal and regulatory requirements.
- Volume purchasing of mandatory and optional coverage.
- Provide Worker's Compensation Insurance.
- Advance insurance deposits.
- Handle insurance audits.
- Provide safety inspections, training and materials.
- Process insurance applications and claims.
- Administer COBRA benefits.
Arkansas Transit Home, Inc. (ATH) was founded in 1958 by my late father, Wendell Chandler. In fact, to Illustrate how long that is got most trucking companies, our DOT number only has five numbers.
I would like to thank you Andy for making this very important and life changing event possible. It was a great experience.
Arkansas Transit Homes, Inc.
We have worked with you and your colleagues at Ahern Associates for some time now. We find your expertise in the area of logistics (be it in consulting or based on being hired for acquisition analysis) to be out standing. We value the relationship and are very happy to give you this letter of reference..
You should feel free to have any party call us to discuss our experience.
Benesch Attorneys at Law
England has been formally associated with Andy Ahern and his colleagues for approximately the past three years primarily in the area of acquisitions. During that period, we have experienced a professionalism that is refreshing. Andy offers in-depth expertise as well as industry knowledge born from extensive experience, a combination which adds material value well beyond a normal business relationship.
We anticipate a long Ė term, mutually beneficial association. It was a great experience.
Very truly yours,
Keith c. Wallace,Jr.
Senior Vice President / Chief Financial Officer
C.R. England, Ind
Century Carriers, Inc. and its subsidiaries are family owned businesses that was started 1998. When the Transportation business was booming, times were great but, like other family owned businesses we didnít prepare for the economy the past year. My wife and I lost many hours sleep and made many calls to attorneys, banks, and whom ever would listen to our story trying to figure out how we were going to save our business for our future and our children.
Andy and his team has given us hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel and we are making progress, thanks again.
Kevin Henderson, President/CEO
Century Carriers Inc. / Century Expedited Inc.
Originally, I met Andy at a Truckload Carrier`s Conference during a round table discussion on the transition of family business. Andy was very knowledgeable about the topic and expressed many ideas that we hadn`t thought of. During the down turn of our industry in 2001, We called upon Andy, as a consultant, to help us understand how to turn our business around. We hired Ahern and Associates to come in and do businesses review. By giving us a road map to success with their intial audit, they helped turn our business around within thirty days.
Andy Ahern and Ahern & Associates have always delivered exactly what they have promised.
Don Christenson, President
Christenson Transportation, Inc.
We have thought about selling our business one day, but we really didnít know much about how to go about it. Your company contacted us a few months ago about a client of yours that was looking to buy businesses like ours. Now just a few months later, the sale is complete. Everything went very smoothly, Ahern was there to guide us through the beginning of the process. We are very happy with our whole experience with Ahern, especially Andy and Brian. They gave us personal attention any time we had questions or concerns.
John & Jennifer Rainney
I wanted to thank you for your guidance, leadership and support. The professionalism and dedication of you and your staff is outstanding. The knowledge you posses of the transportation industry and its inner workings was been a huge asset to us in our time of transition. With your assistance we have been able to make significant changes within our company to improve structure and productivity. Aherns onsite visit and detailed evaluation of our company has been a very valuable tool. The outside look at how we do business and the suggestions you've made to improve our overall performance have been very valuable. All of your advice and direction has been thoughtful and caring, I feel that you truly care about our business and success. You've done everything you said you would do and then some, working with you and your dedicated staff has been a pleasure and will improve the productivity of our company. I look forward to a long relationship with Ahern and Associates.
Specialized Business Solutions. INC